My Slow Stitch Stories - Diving Into The Ancient Art of Slow Stitching


I began my slow stitch stories during the early days of the Covid. An artist by trade, I found myself with a severe case of painter's block beginning in early 2020, and turned to the ancient art of slow stitching to help calm and soothe my nerves.  The act of making small stitches on the various fabrics I found in rag bags and closets in my home was like meditation.  I began by making embroidered fabric pieces of approximately 5" x 5" that I call "slow stitch stories" all of which can be found on my Instagram account SlowStitchStories -  https://www.instagram.com/slowstitchstories/

Here are three slow stitch stories that chronicle my time nesting at home throughout the winter and my wish to reconnect with friends that I was missing:

Home Safe and Sound
 
The Path To My Door
 
Until Our Paths Cross Again

I then began creating brooches and talismans with the same recycled fabrics, also sourcing materials from India and Africa - recycled sari silk waste materials spun into roving, or made into thread, wool and ribbon, glass beads made from recycled medicine and other discarded bottles, and other beads crafted from recycled newspaper.  I found silver, brass and verdigris charms to add to the pieces.  It has been so much fun designing and constructing each piece, and the act of making these small fibre artworks has been a joy that has helped me immensely during this challenging year.

To see all of my brooches and talismans  - https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/LesleyFountainStitch

 





 
 
 
 
Here is an interesting article I found on the The Crewel Work Company's website on the the connection between mindfulness and needlework:
"Mindfulness is defined by the Cambridge Dictionary as “the practice of being aware of your body, mind and feelings in the present moment, thought to create a feeling of calm”.
 
This calm that comes from practising mindfulness is said to have numerous benefits to mental health and along with drawing and colouring in, needlework is brilliant for promoting and achieving it. The link between mental health and stitching is not a new discovery.  Historically, stitching has helped varying demographics in a range of circumstances overcome or ease psychological trauma.
 
First world war veterans in the UK, Australia and New Zealand practiced needlework as a form of therapy for shellshock.  Soldiers called embroidery “fancy work” and the subject matter ranged from rural landscapes to flags and heraldry or simply, and perhaps most touchingly, decorative pieces for their parents or sweethearts.
 
Soldiers found such solace in practicing embroidery that an entire organisation was set up to help disabled veterans return to the workforce by producing domestic and luxury textiles.  The Disabled Soldiers’ Embroidery Industry was in operation between 1918 and 1955.
 
'As a society, we are so burnt out,” says Psychologist Emma Kenny.  “We need to release our anxiety but we also feel that we need to have something to show for that.  Crafts like embroidery enable us to zone out and tap into something good for us. It connects you with something tribal and instinctive.'
 
The repetitive, rhythmic motions of stitching create a state of contentment and focus.  “It actually alters brain chemistry,” says Kenny.  “Levels of stress hormone cortisol get lower when we are focused on a creative task."


Comments